Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Weekend in Semuc-Friday

Our last weekend in Guate! So bittersweet. It has been a beautiful 6 weeks of study! The plan was for Semuc-Champey. Everyone we've talked to has said it is by far their favorite place in all of Guatemala! I hope it lives up to the hype!

Thursday night we said goodbye to a new dear friend Edgar, we met in Chontala our first weekend, but not before we stocked up on bread from Dona Luisa's! An amazing bakery! Though their banana bread is not quite as good as mom's, it's a close substitute and you can buy a whole loaf for 13.5Q or roughly $1.25! Now we were all ready for travel! Edgar was traveling to stay with family and look for work! Please keep him in your prayers! Friday, we woke up early and spent about a 8 hour drive in a shuttle van. We slept, talked, prayed, I attempted to read, but managed about half a page before getting nauseous, so I listened to some music as well. I forgot how much I missed my music! (There's always plenty of 80s American music playin' in Guate:) The last 2 hours were on curvy, non-paved roads, and I think we were all just ready to arrive. Before arriving we went over the shadiest bridge I've ever been on. (And yet when we walked over it later, I felt safer in the van.)



We stayed at El portal, a recommended hostel. As Tiffany would say, "We literally stayed in a tree-house!" Which means not really, but it felt like one. We were however, quite literally in the middle of no-where though I think this added beauty! We spotted a waterfall across the river and decided to take a hike. We had to cross the shady bridge on foot...so you could fit through the slats...but as they would say here it was vale la pena! (it was worth it!) How beautiful! This waterfall was actually the entrance to the caves that we planned to tour Saturday. With a whole day of travel and a short hike behind us we worked up quite an appetite. There wasn't a whole lot to choose from on the menu at el portal, and we were all surprised to wondered how schnitzel made it but no burgers or even tacos. I decided to play it safe and with nachos. Excellent choice. It definitely gave the others food envy. We spent the night just chillin and enjoying. We played life-size jenga and had Dona Luisa's for a late night snack! We headed off to bed early just as another group arrived. The noise did not bother me a bit as I fell right asleep after patching a the hole in my mosquito net with some med tape:) No malaria for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment