Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Advent


İFeliz Navidad! Merry CHRISTmas! Sorry it has been awhile but we have been without internet for about 2 weeks now. Thanks to all who sent packages as well. I would like to share a little of my advent and CHRISTmas experience here with you.

 First I want to share a tradition common throughout Latin America called "posadas". In Spanish this translates to "shelter". The tradition acts out the travels of Mary and Joseph seeking shelter in Bethlehem and involves going door to door singing. The tradition is said to have started in Mexico but is practiced throughout Latin America. It starts on December 16 and continues for 9 days leading up until Christmas. For a brief description you can go to this link. http://gomexico.about.com/od/festivalsholidays/a/posadas.htm
 
For me it was a beautiful tradition during this advent season. It was really profound for me to sing the words as we stood outside and sang from the perspective of Joseph and asked to innkeeper for shelter. Then it was time for us missionaries to sign from the inside of our house and just the words we were singing. "I don't care who you are, leave me alone..." It is similar when we read through the passion at mass on Palm Sunday and speak the words of the crowd, "Crucify Him, Crucify Him." It really made me start to meditate and realize that every time I am unwelcoming to someone, I am turning away Christ at my door. It was truly profound and helped me really focus during this Advent season. I was very happy to be apart of it.
I also had the opportunity to stand in as Our Lady for one of the days. It was so special to meditate on how she would have felt during this time going with Joseph from door to door looking for somewhere to sleep for their new baby. I can't imagine even the faith of Mary trusting in our Heavenly Father that He had a plan and everything would work out...obedience:) How beautiful.
(Pictures to come!)





No comments:

Post a Comment