Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Last Week in Antigua


Our leaving is bittersweet. Antigua has been such a beautiful home to us for the last 6 weeks. My guatafamilia was amazing! So sweet and welcoming. We spent a lot of time around the table. We had all kinds of conversations and my guatamama was an amazing cook! I truly enjoyed my time with them.

La Union school, where we spent most of our time each day, was a beautiful experience as well! Our teachers truly became our friends and I had the pleasure of having 3!

A few things I learned from Antigua:

>The Mayan culture is still very much alive.

>Anything within the 1-2 hours is "on-time". It would also not be out of the question to all-together cancel your meeting. The value  relationships more than time schedules.

>Santa Clara has the best bakery in town.

>Dona Luisa has the best banana bread.

>I need to find a country to live in where the food is more expensive:)

>People make fun of you when you wear rain gear, though it rains and the streets flood on a daily basis during the rainy season (about 3-4) months.

>Antigua is stuck in the American 80s with their music. Sometimes if you close your eyes you can pretend you're at a roller rink party:)

All in all it was a beautiful experience! Though, I think we are all in agreement that we are ready for the Farm! Just a few more days!

                Just on a side note I lived in the house of Santa Pedro. I could not find a whole lot of information about him except that he was a Franciscan from Spain that worked with the poor of Guatemala, specially Antigua. His feast day is April 18th and he was beautified and canonized by JPII. For more information you can read: http://translate.google.com.gt/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20020730_betancurt_sp.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhermano%2Bpedro%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D673
 

No comments:

Post a Comment