Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Weekend in Semuc-Sabado


Sabado

My body has kept my routine of waking around 5:30am. It is much easier to get out of bed here though because the sun has already risen. Though I am a night person buy nature, I enjoy the quiet mornings for prayer. A priest told me once you receive all the grace you need for the day during the time you take for morning prayer, which is probably why satan tries to always sabotage it.

Dona Luisa provided breakfast before we headed out for Semuc. Banana bread and peanut butter will never get old! I think hiking Pecaya last week prepared me for some of the inclines. It was such a peaceful hike! Besides my heart beating, the only sounds were the river and some insects! It was so surreal! I was trying to take it all in around my without losing my footing. The pictures I had seen of Semuc really do no justice and sorry but that's all I have to offer you as well! This really is one of the most beautiful places on earth! We all agreed that while we could spend the day just staring off in wonder and awe, we were all so excited for the pools!

Again no words can explain the beauty of these aqua pools contained within a limestone bridge on top of a raging river. My brain still cannot comprehend that amazing phenomenon! I can't explain the anticipation and excitement I had to jump into the first pool! I felt like a mermaid in a lagoon:) Even the regret of not having brought a mask & snorkel could not take anything away from this experience. We slid from pool to pool over a series of natural water slides! We tried to strategize the best way to slide down in order to avoid rocks, but once you got going there was no controlling it! Gracias a Dios we all made it safe! A few cuts to practice good infection-prevention on. (I have already implemented the infection- prevention protocol so that it is well-ingrained once prior to arrival at the Farm. hehe)
Once we made it down to the last pool, it was about lunch time and the majority vote was to head back for lunch. (Anyone that knows me, knows I could stay in the water...forever...no not really,  it wasn't the ocean... there were no waves:)

*On a side note, one day after a break, or pausa as they call it, my teacher asked me how I was feeling. Sometimes you just need to switch it up so I told her, "me siento seca" or I feel dry. She laughed and named me sirenita (little mermaid). I told sorry but it's not original. My mom gave me that name long ago:)

I should have been full from a bread-filled breakfast but around mediodia my body was letting me know she was hungry. We decided we needed something a bit more substantial for lunch. I don't know if you are one of those people or if you just happen to know one, that when they find something they enjoy on the menu, they stick with it, because they have a fear of trying something new and having food envy . I'm not one of those, I order chicken-fingers at every meal:) agggg Agustin ummmm. sorry just clearing the throat, but yes I played it safe and ordered the nachos again. Despite knowing that I had delicious nachos coming we all couldn't hold back from another slice of Dona Luisa's! She lasted almost all weekend! Did we mention we had 2 loaves for 5 people. (We're going to work on the food discipline thing...starting at the Farm:) To my surprise, but not really, everyone ordered nachos!

Definitely felt the food coma after lunch but Tiffany, Patrick, and I headed for the caves! We heard many things about these caves; one time as it started raining they flooded and they had to rescue people out of them, but you don't really need to know how to swim to go through them, and above all as long as you have this candle they give you, you're good. "So what if I just brought a flashlight?" (me)

 "No, it takes away from the ambiance."

 "Well what if while we're doing all this climbing I can't hold it?" (me)

 "The guide holds it for you."

 "Ok, well then how do I see? the flashlight makes a lot of sense to me."

 "No, the candle is better. It's all good if you have your candle."

Ok  I thought well skills in order to actually go on this adventure I'm just have to turn off my critical thinking skills and better judgment. (Not recommended but sometimes needed in order to enjoy experiences more fully:)
Thankfully the fact that a huge Guatemalan family was going with us gave us reassurance. They had older kids in their group and one guy with his broken arm in a plastic bag! The water was freezing as we headed into the cave. You could hear bats as we entered. The water got deeper as we continued. I think we were all just focused on I was in about waste-high water for about 75% of the time. There was one point I slipped off the rock and went completely under. All I could think about was brain-eating bacteria. ( I think I blew out my nose and spit for a good 5 min after that.) Tiffany also took a decent spill, in which when she resurfaced I strongly advised or rather mandatoed (spanglish translation for command:), "You spit that water out!" We were crawling in, up, down, and just swimming through these amazing caverns! Our candles went out at least a dozen times along the way, and we would frantically paddle to the closest flame to re-ignite, which is quite difficult while wadding water and keeping up with the group, especially if your wick went under. At one point we came to a waterfall. I was enjoying just taking it in, when our guide, Rojo (insane doesn't begin to describe this Guatemalan), showed us to the shadiest ladder I've ever seen, to climb basically up through it. I was so focused on keeping up (because when you turned around it was just pitch black) that I didn't bother comprehending how I was going to accomplish this. In retrospect climbing up was way easier than trying to climb back down. I believe the focus on keeping our candle lit prevented the anxiety/reality of all the near-death experiences! It was probably the scariest/most amazing thing I've ever done in my life. Gracias a Dios! We made it! We have the candle stubs to prove it. The last stretch was a short tube down the river, but first a giant tree swing! Those will never get old! After a couple rides each we all headed into the river, which surprisingly felt much colder than the caves. The Guatemalan family (about 20 people) all linked tubes! haha. The three of us went solo! As we gazed at the beautiful landscape on either side we didn't realize the strength of the current. There were a few panic moments as we flailed to steer ourselves around some rocks. haha. It's all good.  At one point as we moseyed down the river Tiffany attempted to correct Pat's use of the term literally. (If I haven't mentioned before when Tiffany uses this term it is always in complete incorrect context. We tried to explain that there was a word for that, figuratively, haha, but she is quite convinced.) A bunch of laughs and a couple of selfies later we finished up our river trip and walked our tubes back up to the waterfall. A complete day of fun, but we were tired, wet and hungry. We arrived back just in time to catch a ride back to the nearby city of Lanquin to make sunday's departure easier.

Every mode of transportation is an adventure here. We are really missing out in the States with our mundane solo commutes! This is another one of those experiences that I just really can't put into words as I think my missionary family would agree! haha. I don't even know where to begin. Just imagine a bunch of foreigners singing Mulan at the top of our lungs, mind you, only one person actually knew all the words, as were all hanging on/sitting on top of each other in the back of a pick up in the pitch black outside over unpaved roads and then add a full on thunderstorm. I was overjoyed when we arrived at the hotel! 












No comments:

Post a Comment