Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ice Bucket Challenge Challenge

So I don't know if you all have heard about the recent rage in the states about the ice-bucket challenge for ALS, but I was challenged about 2 weeks ago maybe. The idea is that you pour a bucket of ice water on your head or pay $100 to raise money for ALS. As a side note ALS is a disease that has no cure, researchers aren't sure what causes it, and the majority of people don't live past 2 years that have it. It is a motor-neuron disease. Basically you're muscles don't receive the messages to move. The disease is progressive and eventually takes over your respiratory system. So your body is dying but your mind is still intact. 

My good friend contracted the disease in her early 20s (this is rare). She was a beautiful young women, friendly, outgoing, would "do anything for anyone" type of person,  studying architecture 
at UF, and a great soccer player. She had the disease for only about 6 months before she joined our Lord. Near the end of her time her she went into a coma. Myself, and a group of close friends, probably about 5-7 started a ritual. When we all got off work we made it to the ICU at 10' o'clock (I'm not sure how we got past the visiting hour thing) and we would talk, pray and sing in a circle around her bed. For me at that stage in my life, it opened my eyes to what it means to have friends in Christ, and the difference between other relationship. This was true love, the love of a soul. I will never forget this experience. Starr left us shortly after, but not before giving her last gift, her organs.

I did the challenge in honor of Starr. I decided to see if the girls would like to be involved. We talked about making a short movie clip and for my friend over the weekend. The girls were eager to help. Below is the clip we made along with some girls that showed up early for girls soccer that day. Sorry the sound isn't great, I was explaining in Spanish what I was doing and the older girls were translating in English aunque tenía pena. (Though they were a bit shy.) Also I think the challenge is supposed 

to be completed within 24 hours….but I live in Honduras...y así es la vida.  

No comments:

Post a Comment